Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Wonder - Pages 294-315, The End

The graduation program includes three songs. One previously mentioned ("Light and Day"), one traditional song (Pachelbel's "Canon in D"), and one of my personal favorites ("Under Pressure" by Queen and David Bowie).




In his commencement speech, Mr. Tushman quotes three authors. I'm only including the first of the three quotes here, just in case one of them might give away something from the story. The first quote is from J. M. Barrie who wrote Peter Pan. The quote Mr. Tushman uses, however, is from the book The Little White Bird. Here is J. M. Barrie along with the quote from the original text.



Mr. Tushman's second quote is from Under the Eye of the Clock by Christopher Nolan. Christopher Nolan was born with cerebral palsy and could only move his head and eyes, yet he wrote award winning books and was first published at the age of fifteen. Here is a picture of him with his book.


Finally, Mr. Tushman quotes Henry Ward Beecher and describes him as a "nineteenth century abolitionist - and a fiery sermonizer for human rights." Their school is named after him. Here is a picture of him as a younger man, followed by an image of a statue of Beecher currently in downtown Brooklyn, New York.



These last images are reversed, but I thought the last one was the best way to end our read aloud. Auggie mentions a red carpet. A red carpet is traditionally used when important people arrive somewhere, like when a president arrives to visit another country. This is a picture of the president of Japan arriving in the United States.


Red carpets are also used for celebrities when they arrive at fancy events like award ceremonies and movie premiers. This is probably the sort of red carpet Auggie is referring to.


And finally ... well ... I'm not even going to introduce this one. I'll just say this: I hope you enjoyed the book, and I especially hope you enjoyed the ending.


*All images linked to their source.

Continue the Wonder Resource Page.

12 comments:

  1. Thank you so much. We just finished the book Wonder and we did this website every time a new part starts. So i'm so thankful that you made this website.

    - Kolbie Smiley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you think of adding "I'm the Luckiest Guy on the Lower East Side" by the Magnetic Fields? It's the song Auggie and his dad sing before Auggie's graduation. My students wanted to hear that song, too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhO1XlDFqxE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I did. You're just in the wrong section! :-)

    http://mrwreads.blogspot.com/2012/03/wonder-pages-275-293.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! I missed it! Thanks again so much for your wonderful resources. My students absolutely loved all of them!

      Delete
  4. Dear Mr. W...thanks so much for making this website. We just finished the book and enjoyed it very much. Your images helped my students, especially my english language learners, better comprehend the story. You really did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must say that this has been a fantastic tool for me during my Wonder unit. Thanks so much for sharing. Some teachers are so guarded with their material. I greatly appreciate your willingness to give of your hard work and dedication. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! This was fantastic. I will be using this with my homeschool book club. Thank you for sharing your hard work like this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We just read this book for our Mother Daughter book club. Our meeting is this Friday. Thank you so much for this. You really made an already rich and beautiful book come alive. I will be using much of your resources to help add texture to our discussion. Thank you!!!! Your students are so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr. W:
    I teach 6th grade and I used this website every time I read to my kids. They LOVED it!! They wanted to read this book instead of going to recess...and that's saying quite a lot for 6th graders ;) Thank you so much for the work you've put into this. It adds so much to the story knowing the background information and references.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Mr. W! My kids and I were so impacted by Wonder and that depth of impact was certainly greater because of all your hard work! My students and I love talking about Mr. W. and we feel like we know you all the way in Denver, CO. Thank you for sharing this with the world and making August come more alive for my students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome. I'm glad and honored that I could be a part of your class!

      Delete
  10. Hi Mr. W. U2 wrote a song inspired by Christopher Nolan, it's called Miracle Drug this is the link if you want to include it

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b55KkB9dCvw

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Mr. W Reads. Feel free to leave a comment or question, and I will respond as quickly as possible. All comments are moderated, so your comment may not appear right away.