Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Wonder - Pages 51-80

When Summer says goodbye to Auggie after school, his mother asks about her. Auggie's mom comments that Summer seems nice and is pretty. Auggie says, "We're kind of like Beauty and the Beast." Most of you are probably familiar with the Disney versions of Beauty and the Beast, but the story was originally published in the 1700's.

  




Auggie and his dad call each other "Auggie Doggie" and "dear ol' Dad" after an old cartoon called Auggie Doggie and Doggie Daddy. Might as well see a couple clips.


Auggie's mom is reading The Hobbit aloud to him each night. The Hobbit is a classic high fantasy novel published by J. R. R. Tolkein in 1937. The Lord of the Rings is actually a sequel to The Hobbit.


And thanks Mr. Etkin for suggesting The Hobbit movie trailer. Here it is:


"Hey, the truth is, if a Wookiee started going to the school all of a sudden, I'd be curious, I'd probably stare a bit!" Truth is, so would I.

There are a lot of different Wookiees
in the Star Wars world...
...but Chewbacca is the man. Or the Wookiee. Whatever.
He's awesome. (This is Mr. W's opinion. Just sayin'.)
It's not really needed to understand the story, but I can't pass up an opportunity to see the Wicked Witch of the West from the Wizard of Oz. That's who Summer was last year for Halloween. And Summer is right. It was a book first, written by L. Frank Baum and originally published in 1900. The author wrote thirteen sequels.


I always thought the Cheese Touch was pretty funny in The Diary of a Wimpy Kid. But when something similar to the Cheese Touch is going on, and it's for no reason other than because of who a person is, that's another thing completely. And a much less funny thing.





It's not necessary to know the whole history behind the Bleeding Scream costume, but it's nice to get the image in your head so you know what Auggie is talking about. It's become a pretty familiar mask at Halloween. This one includes a pump so fake blood will ooze down the mask.


Students give more comparisons to describe what Auggie looks like. Later, Auggie says he's heard them all before, but what makes these comparisons especially hurtful when he hears them? On Halloween he hears orc, a creature from the Lord of the Rings, and a shrunken head. This shrunken head is from a silly movie called Beetlejuice.



When Auggie tells some of the other names he's heard people say about him, he mentions two movie characters. The first is an alien called E.T. (who everyone thought was super-cute and cuddly), and Freddy Krueger, a character from a horror movie (who nobody thought was super-cute or cuddly.)




Continue to Part Two: Via.

54 comments:

  1. This is such a fantastic resource. Thank you for your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is a good web site they should do this more often this is a good website for kids to

      Delete
    2. Yes,I am a kid and i'm enjoing this alot.

      Delete
    3. This website is helpful, and the book is amazing.

      Delete
    4. this website has helped me a lot since my teacher introduced it to me because i was very smart

      Delete
    5. This is awesome information for wonder referances.

      Delete
    6. i love wonder

      Delete
    7. wonder is a very good touching book for kids

      Delete
    8. wow that was amazing cool stuff and videos thanks mr woger

      Delete
    9. are the comments being wrote by the creator of the website i feel like it is and if it is this comment will probaly be deleted

      Delete
    10. Nope, the comments are not written by me. All submitted comments go to me for approval, and most of them are approved. Including yours!

      Delete
    11. Yes very goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood.

      Delete
  2. You're welcome! I'm glad everything has been useful to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for making these stuff

      Delete
    2. This is a great book! Should make more!

      Delete
  3. I just discovered this resource, thanks to a tweet by @JoyKirr! This is the section we are on in my read aloud, so I will use this tomorrow in school. Thanks so much for helping students build background knowledge!

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also saw this tweet and was just thinking the exact thing Denise...background knowledge to help those students connect to this story every step of the way. There are 5 grade 6/7 classes at our school starting this read aloud tomorrow. I am so excited and love all the images and videos...also thank you for taking me back to my childhood after watching Auggie Doggy and Doggy Daddy. There will be many stories told while reading this novel.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hearing from everyone excited to use the resources is awesome, but knowing that so many people are reading Wonder with students is even better. Thanks for taking the time to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stumbled across these plans as I will be reading Wonder with my 5th graders starting next week. It's obvious that you have put many hours into this, and it is much appreciated. I look forward to rich discussions with my kiddos...thank YOU!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing. I didn't even realize all the references in the book (e.g. Auggie doggie). What a great resource this is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad I found this resource. I'm reading this to my class and they love, love, love seeing the images. Thanks for putting all of this together and for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this valuable resource!! We have just started reading Wonder in my 4/5 class, and having these visual references saves me valuable time of looking them up! We had a 10 minute conversation about Doggie Houser!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so this is an awesome site to come to when i need info i am a 12 year old but thanks for putting your time and work into this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melony, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. I'm glad these resources are helpful, but I hope you are enjoying the book even more.

    Mr. W.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So good for our EL students to have visuals to go along with the reading. An amazing supplement to our summer program. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a good website my class uses this all the time for books this time were reading wonder. I wonder whats next

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this website is good because it gives you a picture of the words in the book also a captoin

      Delete
    2. w wonder

      Delete
  13. Our class is reading this book. Really great so far, thanks for putting that picture in our heads!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have enjoyed this book a ton, I am 12 and I have felt joy,sadness etc. while reading wonder,thanks for the awesome info to Mr.W

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am back again using this web site for my second literature group! Thank you so much for all the links and information! My students love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved the book wonder! My class has already red the book and are now reading Auggie and Me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love it so far !!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are legend to compile these resources. So useful. You could charge for them! Thank you very much, from a teacher who is teaching Wonder next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm glad they are helpful to you and so many other teachers.

      Delete
  19. it's great but the website is not secure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger changed their settings after the website was started. Every post done before that change is unsecure and needs to be updated individually. For nearly 500 posts, that takes a while. As I update various posts, I make the changes. Thanks for reminding me.

      Delete
  20. such a important book for my life thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  21. i love wonder. i have the book and the movie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow I love this thank you for making this!! I love wonder and this just made it even better! :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. we are reading wonder right now

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mr. W, thank you so much for this great resource. I am reading this to my fourth grade class and it has been so helpful.

    Warm regards,
    Ms. Green

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you, Mr. W! Grateful for this amazing resource. I am reading this to my fourth grade class and it has been so helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This really helps everybody with understanding the book

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the web site helps a lot

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Mr. W Reads. Feel free to leave a comment or question, and I will respond as quickly as possible. All comments are moderated, so your comment may not appear right away.