Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Wonder - Part Two: Via


Space Oddity by David Bowie

Ground control to Major Tom.
Ground control to Major Tom.
Take your protein pills and put your helmet on.

Ground control to Major Tom. (10, 9, 8, 7)
Commencing countdown, engines on. (6, 5, 4, 3)
Check ignition, and may God's love be with you (2, 1, liftoff)

This is ground control to Major Tom.
You've really made the grade,
And the papers want to know whose shirts you wear.
Now it's time to leave the capsule if you dare.

This is Major Tom to ground control.
I'm stepping through the door,
And I'm floating in a most peculiar way,
And the stars look very different today.

For here am I sitting in a tin can.
Far above the world
Planet Earth is blue, and there's nothing I can do.

Though I'm past 100,000 miles,
I'm feeling very still,
And I think my spaceship knows which way to go.
Tell my wife I love her very much.
She knows.

Ground control to Major Tom
Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong.
Can you hear me, Major Tom?
Can you hear me, Major Tom?
Can you hear me, Major Tom?
Can you...

Here am I floating round my tin can
Far above the moon
Planet Earth is blue, and there's nothing I can do.

Thanks to Anonymous in the comments below for reminding me of this version of Space Oddity. Chris Hadfield recorded many videos during his time in space aboard the International Space Station, but this is one of the coolest. And with over 17,000,000 views at the time of this post's update (September 24, 2013), who can argue? 



Continue to pages 81-117.

43 comments:

  1. This is amazing! Are you planning on creating resources for the entire book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's already done. Here are two links to all the resources, one on Mr. W's Updates (http://mrwreads.blogspot.com/2012/03/wonder-read-aloud-resources.html) and one on Help Readers Love Reading (http://www.helpreaderslovereading.com/2012/03/wonder-by-r-j-palacio.html).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome song. How did you find it? Via's part is sad because the song says that the earth is blue and there's nothing I can do, right? Well to her perspective the planet earth is auggie, and she can't change his face. That's what I get out of it. I'm 9 years old and I love Wonder. R. J. Palico did a really good job on this book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love wonder too, because it teaches you a life lesson to not make fun of other kids that look different. EMPATHY

      Delete
    2. I am 9 too and I love wonder.

      Delete
    3. LOVE WONDER

      Delete
    4. WONDER IS MY LIIIIIIIIIFE

      Delete
    5. I love wonder to so much I want to buy it but I can't

      Delete
    6. I am beginning to read wonder and it is such a great story so far. it is funny but sad at the same time. These songs really help me understand the book.

      Delete
    7. Songs really help me understand the book Wonder a lot. Thanks for this resource!

      Delete
    8. Technically Via says auggie is the sun. And Mom, Dad, and Via orbit the sun.

      Delete
  4. You certainly have been thinking about the book to make the earth is blue comparison to Auggie and the way he looks. Now, how did I find this song? Well, when you are as old as I am, which is juuuuuuust a bit older than nine, you remember more music. I knew what to look for, I guess. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for making this website its awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the resources man.... I love to teach this book to my 5th grade students and the text to focus on the 5 levels of moral development (Rafe Esquith style but modified)... Also, I like this version of Space Odditiy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaOC9danxNo

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great version of Space Oddity, and I never thought to put it on the website. I think I just might...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr. Wilhorn: My 4th/5th grade group of gifted students are doing a novel study on Wonder. We have been discussing the allusions/references in each section of the book, and I am SO thrilled to find this resource! I had been wishing that I had the time to create something just like this. THANK YOU for sharing this with us!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found this site, and am super excited to uses your resources with the book!! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. cool thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Smart, this one is. Much wisdom, he shows.

      Delete
    2. Wonderful book, RIGHT!

      Delete
    3. wonderful

      Delete
    4. It's AMAZIN'

      Delete
    5. True, it´s very good indeed.

      Delete
  12. Very cool and fun book 10/10

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so so much for this. My students, daughter and I thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great book, I wish that I can be a book writer, when I grow-up. I think this is a wonderful book!

    ReplyDelete
  15. amazing book!

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is awsame are you going to post more videos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are videos for several of the section introductions already, but I don't plan on posting any more.

      Delete
  17. This is a great song I think

    ReplyDelete
  18. I liked the book

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think that via's part in the book is the saddest

    ReplyDelete
  20. love the book its my liiffeeeee!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Mr. W Reads. Feel free to leave a comment or question, and I will respond as quickly as possible. All comments are moderated, so your comment may not appear right away.